Welcome to Sherwood Montessori!
Sherwood Montessori is a tuition-free public charter school in Chico, CA offering TK-8th grade education. Sherwood is the effort of a dedicated group of Chico parents who have a combined expertise in education, management, psychology and financial planning to create a public Montessori charter school. Our vision is for small, multi-aged classrooms where any member of the greater Chico community can succeed by applying the Montessori philosophy in their education.
We are accepting applications for the 2018-2019 school year. We will hold our lottery draw for enrollment for the 2018-2019 school year on Friday, January 26th at 5:30 p.m. Our 2017-2018 application is also available for a limited number of spots in the kindergarten-third grade program for the current school year.
Schedule a tour!
The best way to learn more about Sherwood Montessori is to come and see it for yourself! Tours will be offered on the following dates:
- Tuesday, Nov. 7
- Thursday, Nov. 16
- Thursday, Nov. 30
All tours will run from 9:30-11:00. They will include an overview of Montessori philosophy, a visit to the classrooms, and a time for questions and answers. If you are curious about what a Montessori education would be like for your child, call to reserve a place on a tour! (530) 345-6600
What is Montessori all about?
From the American Montessori Society, the core components of a Montessori education are:
- Trained Montessori teachers who observe and guide their students to developmentally appropriate lessons and materials, based on each child's unique abilities and interests.
- Multi-age classrooms that allow younger students to learn from older students, who, in turn, develop leadership skills, empathy, and deeper understanding of concepts.
- Use of Montessori Materials, which are beautiful, scientifically developed materials that invite children to learn. Each material teaches a single skill or concept and has built-in "control of error" to allow students to learn independently.
- Child-directed work. Montessori beleived that children learn best when allowed to choose work of their own interest, leading to increased engagement, development of intrinsic motivation, and sustained attention.
- Uninterrupted work periods that allow children time to work at their own pace by choosing an activity of interest, working at it for as long as they are interested, then cleaning it up, replacing it, and choosing another activity.
The benefits of a Montessori education are numerous. Children work together as part of a community of learners, working cooperatively instead of competitively. Traits such as independence, concentration, and coordination are delveloped and fostered. Students are treated as unique individuals and can work at their own level, because each student has an individual work plan. Students who need more time to gain mastery can practice at their pace and students who are ahead have access to materials that will challenge them. As active participants in their education, students become independent, lifelong learners!
To learn more about all aspects of Montessori education (the teachers, the classrooms, the unique materials, and more!) visit the American Montessori Society's webpage for great information and videos.
Upcoming & Recent Board Meetings
The Board will hold its regular October meeting on November 16, 2017 at 1071 E. 16th St., Chico, CA 95928, in Roomo 4. This is an open, public meeting.
Regular Meeting, November 16, 2017 final[...]
Adobe Acrobat document [5.7 MB]
School Calendar Online
The calendar for 2017-2018 school year is on the "Events and Calendars" page for download or you can subscribe to the new Google Calendar.