The mission of the Sherwood Montessori is to educate K-8 students of the greater Chico area by providing Montessori education within the context of mutual respect and joy. The focus of the education will be on engaging critical thinking and fostering empathy, and developing the skills needed to become competent, responsible citizens who are life-long learners and skillful problem solvers.
The school will serve our community by providing a rich and supportive educational environment for children based upon the philosophy of Maria Montessori which allows each child to reach his or her own potential academically, personally, and socially and will focus on educating the whole child intellectually, physically, and psychologically. The methodology used will develop a firm foundation for the students, and will emphasize ethics, initiative, persistence, and self confidence.
This mission will be accomplished by a concerted community-based effort between the school, the parents, and the individual child.
To successfully implement and sustain this mission, the school will be founded on the following core values:
- To creatively apply the Montessori method toward reaching high academic standards, while emphasizing core subjects
- To maintain a diverse total school population through inclusive mixed-aged, mentor-based classrooms that welcome all students
- To place emphasis on collaboration, problem-solving, and self-directed goal-setting for each Montessori student according to developmental readiness
- To nurture a commitment toward sustainability and environmental awareness locally and globally, both in Chico and in the greater world
- To apply firm standards of conduct, emphasizing mutual respect, honesty, and courtesy
- To employ creative, passionate, and engaged teachers who are committed to the Montessori philosophy
- To nurture high parental involvement and collaboration in all areas of education and governance