At Sherwood, our intervention services are geared towards meeting the needs of the whole child by assessing struggling students' academic, social, emotional, and behavioral levels. After initial assessment by the classroom teacher, all students that are below grade level expectation will be referred to Intervention Specialists.
Through our School-Based Intervention Team (SBIT) process, students will be assessed using our intervention curriculum to find the skills that they need to work on and the services that best fits their individual need. The main goal of intervention is to get the student caught up to grade level skills. While this is not always possible, the process helps the parent and the teacher figure out the best path forward, whether that is more intervention services or a referral for special education assessment. It also allows the student to get the most help possible, as soon as possible, to avoid getting further behind. The SBIT process includes an initial team meeting and follow-up meetings every couple months to review the plan and update the team on current progress.
Our Intervention Teachers
- Kathryn Dunlap is our English Language Arts Intervention Teacher and previously worked at Sherwood as an intervention aide for the 2015-2016 school year. She has a special education teaching credential and has been teaching in this field for 8 years. When she’s not working with students, she loves to walk her dog and enjoys taking in the beautiful Paradise sunsets.
- Kelli Kurth is our Math and Behavior Intervention Teacher. Kelli started her education journey 8 years ago after realizing fisheries biology was not her calling. During the first year Sherwood was open, Kelli was completing her multiple subject credential and worked as a student teacher in the middle school classroom. The following year, Kelli was hired on as the middle school math and science teacher. In the years that followed, Kelli realized her true passion was in supporting students with math and behavior needs. She has been working in intervention at Sherwood for the last 3 years and greatly enjoys her role in supporting students. When she is not at Sherwood, Kelli can usually be found hanging out with her husband and three sons. They love to travel and go on exciting new outdoor adventures--snorkeling in the creek, hiking, fishing or kayaking on the rivers nearby. Kelli loves to run and you might see her running around Chico when you're out and about. Family, friends and the outdoors are all important to Kelli and her family. Kelli is thrilled to continue to work at Sherwood Montessori, our amazing little charter school, here in Chico.
- Pegi Schaefer: ELA Intervention Aide
- Steve McKeever: Math/Behavior Intervention Aide
- Kaylyn Weber: Behavior Intervention Aide